“I Love Gay Day!” – Gloucestershire Pride

This year Iya – Louisa’s teamed up with Neika Beauty Studios to support Gloucestershire Pride. We went out to meet the supporters of pride, have a chat, a laugh, dish out some great discount codes and talk about our new competition! (More on that later) Pride has come along massively since I was younger and yesterday it looked like the biggest turn out yet; more drag, more young people and a lot more love.

However, pride is not all sunshine and rainbows. There is more to pride than just a party. Although the LGBTQIAP community is becoming more and more accepted, there is still a need to march and stand up for equality in laws, and to stand up against hate. That is why every Gloucestershire Pride starts with a march through the city centre and ends in Gloucester park where the celebration of differences really begin. This year marks the 50th anniversary of when Homosexuality was decriminalised in the UK which, when you put it into context, was really not that long ago. Around the outside of the party and among some of the games are stalls with a little more seriousness. Mental health, sexual health, adoption and community help stalls are there every year to lend a helping hand. This is where people who feel excluded can really start to feel accepted, and that is what pride is about; acceptance for all.

Why did I want to be a part of pride? Pride is for everyone including heterosexuals, and when it comes to love, I’ve also experienced my fair share of hate. When I was younger, rumours went around school about me being a lesbian, despite the fact I had a boyfriend at the time. If this was happening now would I care? Of course not. I’d laugh, I’d make jokes etc… But when you’re younger and in a school environment, it means everything. Being called names was a big deal. Crying in the changing room because of just a small bunch of b*tches in PE. Some people go through this every single day of their lives and honestly, its mentally draining. Now name calling is nothing compared to some things… Would this be acceptable if it was against, let’s say, black people?

Speaking to the amazing supporters of pride it became apparent that everyone was in agreement. Everyone was there for the same thing; to get rightfully deserved equality when it came to love and sexuality and to make friends and make everyone feel accepted and welcome into the LGBTQIAP Community. From straight supporters to a transgender mother with her pansexual wife and beautiful son. Love is love and should be recognised as such. Here are some of my favourite pictures of the great people I spoke to, and with the help of Neika Beauty Studios, everyone in the pictures below received a 10% off voucher for beauty treatments! Keep reading for our competition details to win a free beauty treatment!

Fiona, 17
Harry & Eliza 17
Kate 31 & John 2
Libby, 17
John, age “whatever you want it to be baby”
Destiny, 17
Ollie, 15 & Nick, 16
 Niamh, 14 Tilly, 15 Kiera 15
 Misty Lee
Liz,
Foxxy & Miss Felicia
Meghan & Kelis, 16
Ryan
Agnes
LittleSquishy, 22
Jorja & Shannon, 14

And thanks to the little cutie at the end for the picture when we were stood next to the most tempting cupcake stall ever.
Share your pride selfies with us! Anyone who enters will receive a 10% discount code too!

How to enter:

🌈 Follow @iyalouisas & @neikabeautystudio on Instagram
🌈 Like the Insta competition post
🌈Tag us both in your pride selfie
🌈 Use hashtag #ILNBSPRIDE2017

Terms and conditions :
Photo must be taken in aid of Gloucestershire pride. Prize is a free beauty treatment with Neika Beauty Studios for the value of £15 or £15 off a treatment. Completion winners will be announced 7pm Monday 19th June 2017 on the instagram accounts. No cash alternatives. All prizes subject to availability.

1. 30th April 2018 / 10:26 pm

Here in Canada, Toronto’s Gay Pride Weekend has become a huge event drawing an estimated 500, 000 to one million attendees. To extrapolate on that old French saying, “vive la différence.”

2. 30th April 2018 / 11:22 pm

Looks like a successful event! Everyone seems to enjoy the crowd and the celebration. Its good to know that we have this kind of day were our loved brother and sisters express their selves.

3. Nathan
    2nd May 2018 / 1:40 pm

This is a nice post, We do the same here back in Australia. Here they call it Mardi gras and happens every year in March!!! I hope it becomes legal worldwide and there wont be a necessity to have a march on a particular day of the year signifying this.

4. 3rd May 2018 / 11:43 am

It still saddens me that it was only 50 years ago that ‘homosexuality’ was decriminalized, especially as we should not be judged for our sexual preferences. Everyone should be free to love who they want, even if its an inanimate object, who are we to judge what other people are attracted to. We should be open minded enough to accept people as they are and not on the basis of who they love.

5. Renata - www.byemyself.com
    3rd May 2018 / 2:20 pm

In Germany, pride day is basically all about party. I don’t want to say that the LGBT community doesn’t have problems anymore, but after a mayor of Berlin – openly gay – a mayor of Hamburg – openly gay – a minister of foreign affairs – openly gay, travelling around the world in company of his husband….what a surprise that was to some of his hosts ;-D – I think it’s quite cool. I think we have to worry more about ‘imported’ homophobia and life threatening homophobia in our neighbor countries.

6. 6th May 2018 / 12:16 pm

Interesting event. I don’t think we have that in our country. I am all for loving my fellowman. So this is good.

7. Jennifer Prince
    9th May 2018 / 8:49 pm

How fun that it’s so colorful! I love it when events are filled with smiles and a lot of color. 🙂

8. 12th June 2018 / 10:17 am

I think everyone enjoyed the pride day !! Dont care about the people..what they say..just listen to your heart

9. 12th June 2018 / 11:37 am

This is nice post. Everyone seems happy. It looks like an interesting event.

10. 12th June 2018 / 5:01 pm

This sounds like a fun and interesting event for everyone.

11. Ann F. Snook-Moreau
    12th June 2018 / 8:10 pm

Looks like a fun time! Thanks for explaining that pride is about support, resources, and information as well as a celebration 🙂

12. Geraline Batarra
    13th June 2018 / 6:32 am

Wow! What a lovely event you have there. Thanks for sharing this to us. Humanity is reborn with pride.

13th June 2018 / 10:07 am

This is a really great event, how awesome you get to celebrate freely and have all those resources to hand too. I hope you had the best time!

14. 13th June 2018 / 1:50 pm

I have not been to any pride events here in the states; however, I am all for people owning their truth and feeling comfortable with who they are and who they love.

15. 13th June 2018 / 4:08 pm

I love this kind of celebration! Full of life and smiles, such a wonderful event and it would be so nice to be a part of it all. I enjoyed looking at all the pictures that you shared! Looks like everyone’s having an amazing time!

16. 13th June 2018 / 4:50 pm

No one should be judged because of their sexual preferences or so to say so for sure, that was such a nice and empowering event! Standing up for equality rights is commendable and very bold indeed!

17. 13th June 2018 / 5:10 pm

Pride is my favorite month. I’ve been to NYC pride a bunch of times but I’d love to get to experience pride parades in other places.. thanks for sharing!

18. 13th June 2018 / 5:43 pm

What a great event! I love this celebration and how everyone comes together with no judgement. Great photos!

19. 13th June 2018 / 8:33 pm

Oh wow you met a lot of people there. It seems like everyone there was having a good time. It’ nice that people can finally come together and celebrate their differences. Hope you got a cupcake from that stall.

20. Minakshi Bajpai
    14th June 2018 / 3:47 pm

That’s a lovely post. keep up the good work. Nice blog I must say

21. 14th June 2018 / 9:35 pm

Whenever I go to a PRIDE parade, I meet so many beautiful people!! Always a great time. You are so right that there is stil much work left to do!!!!! Keep resisting.

22. 15th June 2018 / 3:21 am

Gay pride is seriously one of the best times! I love seeing everyone come out and celebrate individuality.

23. 15th June 2018 / 5:52 am

I am so glad that LGBT community is getting accepted and loved across the globe. Love should not have restrictions when there is so much hatred already!