Mmm you can taste the vegan

Mmm you can taste the vegan

Actually this title is a massive lie, you couldn’t “taste the vegan” you could however taste food which was scarily like the “real” thing. As promised here’s the lowdown on all of the food at this years Vegan Christmas Fair. I know since when did I say lowdown… don’t worry I’m cringing too… Unlike previous food fairs I actually wasn’t disappointed this year! Yep, great vegan food, in Gloucester!! It was nice to try food which wasn’t just “a vegan curry” and if you’re vegan you’ll know exactly what I mean. where you’re like “What kind of curry?” “A vegan one…” “No I mean is it a Thai green, a Dhansak?” “It’s just a vegan curry…” Yawn. Vegans you can rejoice, they were serving up good tasting vegan cheeses apparently, but if you know me you know that is an area that I will always avoid because yep cheese is vile. But here’s a few of my favourites, and yes I pretty much taste tested everything for you, you’re welcome.

Kicking it off with I think everyone’s must have, the vegan hot dog by Oscars Vegan Hot dogs. Was it worth the wait in the queue for 25 minutes? Yes and no… being vegetarian I have actually eaten veggie hot dogs quite a lot… the good ones aren’t made any more 🙁 yep I used a sad face. That’s how depressing it is that the supermarkets don’t really stock their own brand veggie hot dogs anymore but Oscars were good, slightly chewier but good, and damn girl that sausage was big… my one major let down… I ordered them with onions. WHO PUTS RAW ONIONS ON A HOT DOG! They should have been slow cooked unhealthy goodness! but they weren’t…

Okay so the next thing I’m not proud of is the fact that I ate at least 3 whole cookies from Be the change foods. I just could not stop. Mum taste tested the peanut butter one for me and I had; (are you ready?) White chocolate chip, Milk chocolate chip, triple chocolate chip and Bakewell tart. The Bakewell tart did have a slight after texture but that could have easily been caused by a high volume of almond powder each one was chewy and rich and just wow. Could you “taste the vegan?” defiantly not. Where have you been all my life?

Not really a food but the vegan shakes which were being served up by Go with the fro were just wow. And if you know me you know i made shakes for a living for almost two years. Soya milk and other alternatives have always scared me. Especially as I am not a big fan of cows milk anyway. Could you “taste the vegan?” No. Could you taste a thick creamy strawberry shake which i brought to share with a non vegan friend turned around for one minute and it was gone? Yes. You have defiantly opened my eyes.

Another miracle find was Jane’s Better Butter (We brought two). Jane is a miracle worker. Something I use to do a lot was make vegan bakes where pastries etc in particular would lose that buttery goodness. Remember I am veggie not vegan so I still eat butter on a reg and when I tasted this butter spread on a piece of toast I could honestly not tell the difference at all. This woman is literally making it so easy to become vegan. thank you Jane!

And finally I have saved the best till last, Kesh eat your heart out. because tasty vegan bites is bringing the traditional Indian street foods to a city near you. My friend Kesh.. who you may have heard about in a lot of our food adventures normally would bring back all of these dishes with him from Leicester because they’re just not available here and now thanks to tasty vegan bites they are! Honestly I fell in love with this food stall and the people running it after they understood the pain of “a vegan curry” and knew exactly how to introduce vegans to real Indian dishes. Because of Kesh and other friends like Munira (well Mun’s mum) I have actually tried all of the dishes here a part from the pasta … and I know what you’re thinking is that just a different white version of indian food? And ill admit I was worried too. I didn’t eat this dish until I got home and the suspense was killing me. This was real taste fusion. This wasn’t even pasta. This was Indian flavourful street food full of spices and my favourite thing veg..Carbs! I wish I savoured this more because out of everything the next day this is what I was craving again. literally this was and excuse my language (you know how much I hate to swear) the sh*t. That is all.

I’ve linked all of the brands so you can check them out yourself! If you try anything tell me what you think!

1. 7th March 2018 / 3:57 pm

I found this really interesting, i have never tried vegan before but the fact that things are becomming tastier I am intrigued to find out more x

2. 8th March 2018 / 10:47 am

Looks like a decent fair and worth the time. I have to agree though – raw onions on a hot dog?

8th March 2018 / 11:34 am

Yeah it was really weird ahha

3. 8th March 2018 / 12:11 pm

I don’t follow a vegan diet but I do enjoy vegan recipes and I don’t mind trying out different types of vegan dishes! Sounds like you had a really great time enjoying all these good food! Thanks for sharing the brands as well.

• 8th March 2018 / 10:13 pm

I’m in the same camp. I’m not a vegan, but I love vegetables and try to have “vegan days” at least once or twice a week. Just to make sure I”m getting a wide variety of vegetables and fruits. And these all sound fantastic!

4. 8th March 2018 / 1:12 pm

I’m not a vegan but have tasted some vegan entrees. So many new things to choose from now but at the end of the day, I am very much a meat lover!

5. 8th March 2018 / 7:30 pm

I am not vegan but I am going vegetarian for this Lent. I have several vegan recipes on my blog that I make regularly and I truly enjoy! Being vegan doesn’t mean you get to eat dull food!

6. 8th March 2018 / 11:47 pm

As with several other comments, I’m not a vegan but I’m always interested in different foods. I have a few vegetarian friends and a few who are trying to be vegan and it always seems like an extremely difficult lifestyle to have in the respect that there isn’t that much available for vegan unless you really hunt around. This was really interesting, opened my eyes to some of the options that are about and I will certainly send this to my friends that are currently trying to become vegan.

7. 9th March 2018 / 3:59 am

I made a vegan brunch for my friends last weekend! I would love to go to a vegan market! 🙂

8. 9th March 2018 / 1:13 pm

I’ve been vegetarian for over 20 years and this past September I thought I’d try veganism for a while. It’s been a huge struggle while out on vacation to avoid cheese. However, many places like this one now has many vegan options for their customers.

9. 9th March 2018 / 5:33 pm

What a fab vegan event! that vegan hot dog looks well yummy – I would love to try that for sure x

10. 9th March 2018 / 7:40 pm

I am turning into a big vegan fan and I love a good Vegan market. I bet that hot dog was insanely good.

9th March 2018 / 7:43 pm

It was! I also went to Notdog in Birmingham recently and it was amazing!

11. 9th March 2018 / 8:28 pm

These seem like great brands and I’m glad you enjoyed your time at the event. I’m not vegan, or even vegetarian, but I often wonder how people get on and what the food actually tastes like.

12. Jennifer Prince
    9th March 2018 / 10:57 pm

I often wonder about vegan food and the taste. I am so glad it met your expectations this year. It sounds like a fun event to eat your way through. <3

13. 10th March 2018 / 4:25 pm

For my new year’s resolution I was thinking of going vegetarian but ultimately decided to just cut way back on meat. It’s so unhealthy and expensive AND bad for the environment. Idk if I could be all the way vegan, though..

14. 10th March 2018 / 8:35 pm

I have never been a vegan myself, but I’m always down to try vegan foods. I was a vegetarian for a long time, so I have tried a lot of similar foods to this.

15. Chelsea
    12th March 2018 / 3:18 pm

I don’t think I could be vegan is but my manager at work is and she said she feels so much better and she finds eating out easier than she originally thought. I think everyone should have choices and vegans/vegetarians and other lifestyle choices shouldn’t feel limited

16. 31st May 2018 / 8:54 pm

You know in India they LOVE raw onions with a lot of stuff! This as such a fun read!!!! ❤️