“Thanks for the milk and cookies, but I am vegan…” – Santa

Firstly let me just issue a little apology, I know I know I’ve missed two whole days of blogmas! But this was not my fault! Its Shades. Yep that cute doggo stayed true to her name and threw some huge shade when she broke my laptop! So now its a case of just being able to post when I can. I am sorry. And I am trying.

But onto the good news on Sunday Naomi Bayle and Katie Lawrence made history by holding Gloucester’s first ever Vegan Christmas Market and within 5 hours they saw over 1500 people (not including kids) go through their gates at the stunning blackfriars. Every room packed with all different vegan friendly stalls were busy and it was so exciting to see! Due to the lack of vegan establishments in Gloucestershire there is always a negative vibe that travels with any events like this being held so I am so happy with the positive turn out. Finally Gloucester’s caught up with other cities and has entered the vegan game. £2 entry on the door with all proceeds going towards the dean farm trust (animal sanctuary) you just couldn’t argue with that one!

So here is a very quick summary of the event and ill get into the different stalls a little later!

The good points:

• Vegan food and food alternatives EVERYWHERE. Yes I am the proud owner of the last pack of vegan marshmallows but sadly they’re not for me. Heartbreaking really. Here’s my fave food and everything that got featured on my insta: Mmm you can taste the vegan
  • Not just “a curry” actual vegan alternatives.
  • People just happy to talk vegan and not a forceful preachy vegan in sight. You know my views on that.. “I am not an ill hippie who wants to challenge you” Oh and Alex from that post was volunteering there! Got to love her!
  • Pure excitement everywhere!
  • Vegan beauty at some of its best with all natural recipes! (I’ll come back to this with another post after I test out some products that I have gotten! bare with).
  • Charity.
  • Education for all ages including little ones.

The bad points (not really that bad more learning curves):

• Once you left you couldn’t go back in… so you couldn’t really try everything there unless you were ready for 20 meals in an hour. Like Lauren suggested maybe some hand stamps next time.
  • A bigger venue, In one way this is actually a good point this was a very successful event but you did feel a little claustrophobic in some areas because it was just so packed.
  • Again bigger venue = less queuing. I got there at 11 which was fine but I know people who queued for over 45 minutes to get in and when the events not on for that long it does leave you questioning if its worth it (it was but they didn’t know this!).

After speaking to Naomi I can say that she is very proud of the event and she should be! And hinted at maybe a summer event… PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

1. 2nd January 2018 / 11:45 am

This is so cool! I went vegan for Lent a couple years ago and it was awesome seeing all of the options available to eat still. The stigma that vegans only eat lettuce or whatever is quite damaging and I hope the market helped people understand it more!
    My friend is vegan and I am totally going to recommend this post to her!

Thanks for doing my survey.
    Rachel x

2. 30th April 2018 / 4:05 am

There’s vegan marshmallows? I’m curious, what are they made of?

Anyway, good for you for being vegan. I am a meat eater who’s trying to lessen my meat consumption. But I dunno if I can totally eradicate it. So I have high respect to those who practicing vegans.

3. 2nd May 2018 / 12:22 am

Ohhh… It reminds me Christmas! In Lithuania we always have Christmas without meat. However, we eat fish. I don’t know if I could go vegan….

4. Laurence
    2nd May 2018 / 12:26 am

Vegan marshmallow? I didn’t know the sweets can be vegan now. I agree that if this event is so great, they will need a bigger venue. And of course, a plus cause this is event is for charity 🙂

5. 2nd May 2018 / 1:07 pm

A Vegan Christmas Market? Well, that definitely sounds awesome even though I’m the meat addict too. I love how it’s all vegan everywhere and I’d also try it. Ha-ha! Anyway, I agree that such fun events could leave people packing up the place thus a larger venue would be perfect; and in fact, it should be in the open if I was to decide. No wonder one is not allowed to come back in after leaving…in a way,yes!

6. 2nd May 2018 / 3:05 pm

I love a good food market, but never have I been to an all vegan one. The marshmallows sound like a treat and will have to google for the recipe.

7. 2nd May 2018 / 4:24 pm

So nice to know that more and more brands, small or big, are giving people vegan choices and alternatives. I really like the fact that there’s so much to try here! Although it would be nice if you could go back in.

8. 2nd May 2018 / 6:41 pm

I love that there are so many more options for vegans and others who also have food allergies, like gluten. I like the idea of Christmas mid year. Sounds like they did quite well at the event!

9. 2nd May 2018 / 6:59 pm

Oh Vegan Marshmallows, I would have so much loved to try this out. I’m myself a vegetarian and would love to move a step ahead towards Veganism. Great that these choices and ranges are coming up in a big way now!

10. Felicia
    3rd May 2018 / 5:33 am

Yum I would love to go to this! I’m so glad the vegan food is becoming more and more popular! I want to try it alllll.

11. 4th May 2018 / 2:49 pm

I am a vegetarian but I also review and try a lot of vegan foods as a plant based diet is full of nutrients and I do love animals which is the whole reason I became vegetarian in the first place. I am so happy to hear that people are becoming more accepting of vegan culture.

12. 4th May 2018 / 4:49 pm

Wow, very cool, it’s interesting to see the way that vegan and vegetarian culture has been warmly embraced. I’ve eaten a lot of absolutely delicious vegan good actually, and it seems like there was no shortage of delicious vegan food here!

13. 6th May 2018 / 8:05 pm

It always makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when I see that vegan options are more readily available. I think this event in summer would be such fun!

14. 7th May 2018 / 11:54 pm

This is so cool! I prefer vegetarian alternatives to meat dishes, and I’ve seen vegan foods also growing rapidly in popularity.