I wasn’t going to write another post until next week as I am just easing myself back into blogging however I came across this little gem by Gracie Mae “I got it from my mama” and well after reading that how could I not do a Mothers Day Post? And why not start using spice girls lyrics (come on! It was International Women’s Day earlier this week) and do a Mum appreciation post? And what a better way than some organised lists! It’s okay Mum don’t feel too proud! (My mum literally has lists and note pads everywhere and now so do I…).
Weirdly Gracie literally said what I was thinking the other day, “It’s so funny how as you get a little older you just start realising how great your mum is and why she always use to be so stressed etc..”
So lets kick off these lists with;
10 Times you’ve understood the struggle and realised that your Mum isn’t a such a massive psychopath at all:
- When you organise a trip somewhere and start realising why your Mum use to be so uptight in the airport.
- When she was nagging at you and then shouting at you to just get off your phone… now you’re doing the same with your boyfriend…
- When she told you, you couldn’t buy that thing that you already had at home. Now you start realising that things actually cost money! But I am still not backing the “Why do you want a 99 when there’s a choc ice in the freezer!”, that was just plain crazy and evil.
- When your Mum hated on your best friend calling her a bitchy user and you thought wth is she on about that’s my girl! Now you hate that bitchy user too. Do Mum’s just have a sixth sense about these things?
- That past boyfriend she hated when you were probably younger and he was older than you but you were all like age is just a number look at the difference between you and blah blah! Now you’re thinking why on earth was an 18-year-old dating a 15-year-old… like why…
- When she told you to wear a coat like everywhere even though it didn’t match your outfit… Ok sometimes it was 30c outside but majority of the time you did secretly want that coat and now you wouldn’t even think about leaving the house without layers!
- When you had, had a fall out at school and she’d say “Don’t worry about it, I am not even friends with half the people I went to school with!” and you’d think she doesn’t even get you as a person! But now you only speak to like 2 people you went to school with.
- When she’d constantly just watch Eastenders and you’d bear it so you could stay up. And now you’re wondering if Mick is going to finally keep the Vic or is something else going to happen?
- She’d freeze all the left overs, like everything!.. but now you are meal prepping like crazy.
- Sending passive aggressive texts to remind you to clean your room or ring the doctors etc… but again you’re now sending them to your boyfriend.
My next list is, drum roll please…
13 Great Fashion Tips by my mother, Lorrain Silk.
- When you feel like your outfit isn’t strong enough and you need to make a statement, throw on a hat.
- Sheer is in. And oh so are disposable cameras and bowling shoes.
- When you want to look good but you want to chill, who you gonna call?
- Sometimes you just need to put on a shirt and tie.
- Because leopard will always be in, get your mum to sew you some skinnies.
- Sometimes you need to find a colour to match your soul.
- Bangles are the accessory of our time hunnies.
- And well who needs hoops when Jesus is on your side.
- Curly hair don’t care 💁🏽
- Has anyone got any hairspray? What do you mean they’ve sold out?
- Head bands will always be all the rage.
- Cats eyes will always be in.
- Sometimes glam is just the way to go. Oh and fish nets, don’t forget your fish nets.
The top 10 fashion choices Lorrain Silk chose for me (Or let me wear, like why…)
- Those big headbands…
- Always putting in sooo much hair oil…
- Letting me rock the Jelly Bear Pjs.. everywhere.. and I mean everywhere…
- The dungarees and camo combo.
- Letting me wear white and black eye shadow un blended.
- Orange and nappy combo.
- You and Dad letting everyone call me a boy in the Jamaica adi tracksuit.
- Teaching me you way of the cats eye eyeliner.
- Again orange and a nappy… but accessorise with a trike..
- Teaching me how to rock mom jeans from day one.
10 Reasons why my friends love my Mum
Well it was suppose to be 10 but then some gave me a little more…
- She’s so kind and bubbly – Natalie
- She has a heart of gold and will do anything for anyone – Luce
- She tells you straight how it is – Luce
- She’s just so easy to get on with and just a true genuine person with an amazing personality – Luce
- She’s always helped me out when I needed her – Luce
- I love your mom because I was only 9 when I ever first met her and I’ve never felt so comfortable and loved in all my life from a stranger – Em
- I love your mom because just like mine she hasn’t had it easy but she’s one of the strongest people I know to date, and it inspires me how positive she still is on everything – Em
- I love your mom because she’s made and raised such a loving polite daughter, without your mom I wouldn’t have you as my best friend. – Em
- She’s caring, loving like a mother figure to many people other than her children plus she always gives me a reference 😂😂 – Ciera
- She’s always been nice and kind to me Mal, and Kay when we were younger and even still anytime we see her now.- Shelara
- Your mum is just a g, and I miss seeing you all lots – Henry
- Your mum is always positive & upbeat and I love how she is genuinely happy to see me ❤️ Your mum is ace – Rachel
- She always calls me babe – Yulia
- She’s funny, lovely and generous – Ella
- She’s such a sweetheart, she puts so many others before herself – Kieron
10 reasons I am grateful for my Mum
- She sticks up for me for everything.
- She (reluctantly) makes my calls for me. Yeah I hate making appointments etc…
- She’s always helped my friends out. Wether its advice, food, tea, letting them stay over, live with us or even just messaging everyone to check they’re safe on a night out.
- She always let’s us hold prees… she’s dropped us into town in the rain and has never once moaned after waking up to us on the sofa bed the next day. No matter how many of us there is!
- For always being up for hugs.
- For being a friend when I felt like I didn’t have any and going out with me when I didn’t feel strong enough to go on my own.
- Every single time ive been ill even up till now you make me a bed up on the sofa and stay up for me.
- The time when I felt so low you stayed up and watched all of the Madea movies with me and ate all the Jelly from the birthday party with me.
- For bringing me up educated with respect for everyone no matter their gender, race, sexuality, religion etc..
- For just being both my Mum and my best friend.
So Happy Mother’s Day to my amazing Mum. And Happy Mother’s Day to the Mum’s who can’t be with their children today, the children who can’t be with their Mum’s and to everyone who has stood up and been a mother figure to someone. Love to you all xx