You Are Pretty! You Know, For A Depressed Guy.

You Are Pretty! You Know, For A Depressed Guy.

If you didn’t know this week is Mental Health Awareness Week! So this week on Iya – Louisa’s I will be posting every day something to do with Mental Health across my social media so keep on eye out on here, TwitterInstagram and my Facebook page!

We are kicking it off with a continuation of the campaign, with Our Josh (as my Nan would call him). Josh is my cousin and has been featured throughout my blog (yep that’s where you know him from). Josh and I have a bond, obviously we’re family! But also through Mental Illness. He is one of the few people I can sit and chat with about my mental health.

Josh is a people person. When it comes to Josh, no matter how much you try its kinda hard to hate him. He is always the entertainer. No matter where he is he will be the one in the centre who you will be laughing with, drink in his hand. You’ll be listening to him tell crazy stories, flirting, getting you to quit your job and live your dream, convincing you to get that tattoo, cheering you up, getting you drunk, bonding with your child and/or dog. Yep, that is how you’d describe Josh.

However inside Josh isn’t necessarily all of those things. Thats not at all how he see’s himself. Josh feels pressure, he feels low, he feels anxious, he has low self-esteem and he feels like he has to be “Our Josh” all the time because if he’s not he’s letting people down. Similarly Josh and I both deal with mental health in the same way when it comes to being around people, and that is to put on a face and be at the centre where you have more control of how people see you.

Big boys don’t cry.

Depression in men still has such a massive stigma attached to it as having such emotions is seen as unattractive, weak, feminine and just not man thing to do. This is causing so much pain and damage to men in our society. Approximately the male suicide rate is 3x higher than the women’s in the UK and 5x higher In Ireland and considering the female suicide rate in the UK is at its highest in a decade and has risen by 3.8% that is a lot. In 2015 there was 6,639 reported people who died from suicide in the UK & ROI. 1,642 of those were Female and a massive 6,639 were male including one of my closest friends.

What Josh has to say…

How we feel on the inside always affects our outward appearance – whether it’s through self-care, preservation or facial expression. I’ve not had the same appearance for longer that 3 months at a time and a constant internal battle over anxiety, clinically diagnosed depression and mood swings have all contributed to this. It’s only recently, through help from those close to me, that I’ve been able to focus on overcoming this and, whilst I still struggle a lot with feeling overwhelmed or anxious, taking pride in my appearance has most certainly proved beneficial. I’d like to thank Iya for the opportunity to be involved in such a wonderful project with great people and a strong message.

This is where the stigma needs to end. And with amazing and brave people like Josh speaking out hopefully we will live in an era where men feel comfortable to talk about mental health without feeling like an ounce of their masculinity is being taken away.

Josh is hilarious, thoughtful, caring, hardworking, intelligent, fun, talented and Josh is Pretty! You Know, for any kind of guy.

Don’t forget to check out our last campaign post; You Are Pretty! You Know, For A Flat Chested Girl.

You can hit Josh up on insta; @Joshuasilk.

And for photography our photographer as always is @graceeperryphotography or you can find her on her new site here.

1. 14th May 2018 / 4:32 pm

First things first, is he single because the subject line is very appropriate! LOL Kidding aside, thank you for sharing this. Mental health issues runs in my ex’s family. His dad has depression and one of his sisters is bipolar. In fact, he – I and his sisters believe – may also have undiagnosed depression. But he was too proud/embarrassed to get help and admit he has a problem. Again, it goes back to fear of society’s stigma of being weak, unattractive, etc. if men are more open to talk about their feelings and mental health instead of bottling it all inside until they implode, I truly believe it will save so many lives. So, kudos to Josh for stepping up and being a part of that change.

2. 14th May 2018 / 7:35 pm

Thank you for your message. I totally agree that the stigma has to end. I just shared this post and hopefully, people can be more aware and sensitive about the issue.

14th May 2018 / 8:19 pm

3. 14th May 2018 / 9:43 pm

Gosh I hate the stigma of mental health. I have had depression for 22 years now and yet I think it is even harder for men to live with that label. It must change!

4. 14th May 2018 / 11:06 pm

Depression can hit anyone, it knows no boundaries. It’s important to discuss mental health across the board. Glad you shared this!

5. 15th May 2018 / 12:55 am

Love this post, it just shows hoe people can be so naive in it comes to depression and subjects like that! I’m sharing it at work!

6. 15th May 2018 / 7:25 am

I think depression in general is treated very poorly. People calling those suffering from depression dramatic and all that. It’s even tougher on men because society thinks they have no right to be depressed. I feel for Josh and what he has to go through on a regular basis.

7. Geraline Batarra
    15th May 2018 / 11:53 am

This is such a nice post. I’ve learned a lot from this and it is important to pay any attention to treat people who have depression. Thank you for sharing this kind of awareness.

8. 15th May 2018 / 12:58 pm

My man is like Josh. Not only as cute as he is, but also very funny, lovely, kind… unable to put himself first. He’s always afraid of letting people down. His vulnerability is one of the thing that make me find him so sexy ! Strength and masculinity is such an overrated aspect, for me… a true libido killer 😉
    If I wasn’t fiancée, I would come there and meet josh myself 😀

9. 15th May 2018 / 7:09 pm

Having to see close family deal with mental health issues it’s so hard!! It’s not as simple as a cold where you can take some medicine and you know it will pass. It’s a constant battle! I didn’t know the suicide rate was higher in men than women. We do need to be more sensitive to the people around us and be encouraging and supportive!

15th May 2018 / 7:34 pm

❤️❤️

10. 15th May 2018 / 7:45 pm

Depression affects all ages and both sexes. We need to discuss mental health and increase awareness as much as possible. So far in my experience I have seem mostly women affected but it doesn’t mean men aren’t. I have a few friends with depression and the best thing to do is be around, a simple text to say hi, I’m thinking of you can go a long way.

11. 16th May 2018 / 7:44 am

Great story about Joshua. Many of us can be associated with that story. After a divorce, I fell into a heavy depression. Thanks to friends, walks, and conversations, after more than a year, I managed to get out of it.

12. 16th May 2018 / 2:45 pm

Being able to talk is one of the biggest things to being able to handle mental health issues. I know my former father in law suffered through mental illness. Being in groups and being able to talk and not have it stigmatized helped immensely.

13. 16th May 2018 / 7:18 pm

Every person on this earth needs to make his or her own mental health a priority. I don’t think society gives people who seek therapy enjoy credit and I believe ever person could benefit from a few sessions each year to sort out life’s rat race. Josh’s personal story is inspiring.

14. 16th May 2018 / 8:31 pm

I agree that men have the hardest time dealing with depression and all that due to the perception the society has about them. They might tend to hide all that in a bunch of smiles and all that but it’s good to see some accepting such a situation and speaking out like Josh. For sure, the stigma has to END!!!

15. Chinedu
    16th May 2018 / 10:50 pm

This is a very socially sensitive post and relevant considering the week it is. Men a perceived as “tough” and “strong” and feel they need to align with this idea 24/7 and any soft emotion is weak. This is not true. I agree, the stigma must end and through posts like this and more open discussion change will happen. Sometimes it is ok, not to be ok. Transparency and honesty should be encouraged.

16. 18th May 2018 / 10:59 am

Josh sounds like an amazing cousin and I am so glad tat you have him in your life to talk to.

17. 22nd May 2018 / 2:04 am

I have loved this series. This is a good one too. Mental issues are something we should be talking about.

18. 22nd May 2018 / 2:56 am

I agree with Josh. Depression shows in the face. No matter how we try to mask it. Thankfully, I can read my husband when he is feeling something and so I coax him to talk about it. Sometimes, I can’t do anything about his problem but I believe that talking helps.