The Mentality Behind Mental Health: Coping.

Coping with mental health is crazy. My friend Lauren said to me “Problem is I think we all find our own ways to survive eventually, be it prescribed drugs, CBT, obsession, etc. I just find it rich how those who have never had mental health, can tell you to basically deal with it, ridiculous.” And I have to say I agree… and it made me think. What if people took advice from others who suffer? Unfortunately with mental health you can’t just follow one persons lifestyle or make their decisions as mental health, even when diagnosed, is such a personal thing. However what someone else is doing who has a similar understanding to you could help! Everything evolving mental health currently is done through trial and era treatment wise, so one thing that works for you might not work for another. But it could. Also one form of treatment might not be enough. You might have to do multiple. And I think that it’s worth a try!

• Prescription drugs : There is a massive stigma around prescribed drugs and mental health. Many claiming that “they make you worse” however I know both sides. I know people who they have worked well for and people who didn’t get on with them. It is honestly a personal thing. Do not feel ashamed to try them. Do not feel ashamed to be on them. If it works for you it works for you.
  • CBT : CBT stands for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. CBT is based on the concept that your thoughts, feelings, physical sensations and actions are interconnected, and that negative thoughts and feelings can trap you in a vicious cycle. So you talk to someone who try to help you break negative patterns and form new ones. If you have ever been referred to “Let’s Talk” that is what they are all about.
  • Counselling : Talking through your thoughts and feelings with a professional. I think this can actually be effective however you have to find the right person for you, a person you feel a connection with.
  • Psychotherapy : Similar to counselling but they can also offer CBT, and other therapies.
  • Support Groups : Group therapy and meetings can make you feel more comfortable as there may be people who you can connect with and feel have a better understanding.

So those are the main treatments you will find are offered to you. But like I said they might not all be right for you. So here’s some tips from real people going through mental health. I have put them under sub headings of different illnesses. These are the illnesses that the people who gave the advice had. However if you have depression it doesn’t mean you can’t try a tip from someone who has personality disorder etc…

Personality disorder

• Keeping a journal or writing down thoughts.
  • Being alone with your thoughts is the worst so share them with someone you can trust.
  • Don’t be afraid to ask for help or admit when you are struggling, surround yourself with good friends and if you are feeling a bad episode go and see a friend or keep busy.
  • Try to work out what your triggers are so you can cope easier.
  • Make a self-care box! I have films and slippers in mine haha.
  • Make a plan for what to do on the bad days – use google to help!
  • No drugs and alcohol.

Anxiety

• No matter how low, ashamed or scary it is that there is someone who can help you. That be a loved one or a complete stranger. Sometimes just talking helps. What helped me is actually putting my self in those scary situations which not everyone could do with more severe anxiety. The only advice I can give is all that had helped me was talking about it.
  • For Panic attacks try breathing techniques such as Buteyko – it’s definitely worth a search.
  • Breathing. The different forms of breathing such as anxiety, you can’t talk, just take 4 little breaths, just as far as your throat, in through the mouth out through the nose will calm you enough to speak again. To clear yourself, Take a long, long breath, through your mouth, down to the bottom of your stomach, to the count of 4, hold it to the count of 4, exhale through your nose to the count of 4. Do this for as long as you need to, for me it is 3 or 4 repetitions.
  • Cut down on caffeine! It’s a proven trigger.
  • Oil burners are great for helping me distress.

Depression

• Find something you enjoy/love doing. Purely for motivation just to get up and face the day.
  • Mindfulness is a life saving practice. Learning to breath is key and remembering that this to will pass.
  • Yoga is great for negative thoughts!
  • Exercise
  • Trying to lead a healthy lifestyle
  • Take a walk and stay in the present, really look at what you are seeing, cost nothing, the best way to ground yourself is to take your shoes and socks off and walk on the grass for 10 minutes.
  • Try natural tablets like all natural 5HTP
  • Remember alcohol is a depressant! no shame in being sober.
  • Set yourself goals/challenges – This could be as simple as getting out of bed to train for a marathon.

Bipolar

• Find a way to express your feelings; whether it’s through art or music etc…
  • Diaries!
  • For things like compulsive buying. I keep in mind a mental checklist e.g. can I afford it, do I need it, is it worth the money, will this last me longer than a year. And then if it doesn’t tick multiple boxes then I can’t have it.
  • Dont isolate yourself!
  • Lack of sleep never helps.
  • Try keeping to a regular schedule.

If you have any advice or tips on how to cope with Mental Health please let us know! I’d love to hear from you.

1. Monidipa Dutta
    21st May 2018 / 7:30 am

Being a psychology trainee I would first prefer counselling. After that go for psychiatrist and medicines.

2. 21st May 2018 / 11:39 am

Love the ideas that you have said! I have anxiety and I find meditation as really helped me with my breathing so when I do get an anxiety episode I am now able to mentally nip it in the bud a lot quicker than I use to before.

I also find going for long walks really helps clear my mind and getting fresh air makes me feel really good.

3. 21st May 2018 / 5:42 pm

This is a great topic that needs way more attention so well done for addressing. It comes at a perfect time, mental health month is a great way of opening discussion about topics that are usually fairly taboo. Great post!

4. 21st May 2018 / 10:22 pm

I have had depression and anorexia my entire adult life and have spent a great deal of time in mental health facilities and going through therapy. I will be on antidepressants my whole life, I see no shame in that.

21st May 2018 / 11:22 pm

If something works for you it just works!

5. Farya
    21st May 2018 / 11:45 pm

For a really long tike I thought I had bipolar disorder, your post cleared up a lot of things dmdor me

6. 22nd May 2018 / 1:23 am

Great advice not only for those who are going through rough times, but also family and friends of those people. I was that someone who had to be there for a friend with a mental health problem. At times, I don’t know what to say or do to uplift them. But this is great advice.

7. 22nd May 2018 / 10:13 am

It’s not easy to cope with mental health, which is why it’s good to do things that could help you. I think these are all really important, especially activities that help you have a sound mind, like yoga.

8. 22nd May 2018 / 2:44 pm

Uh, difficult subject. I’m afraid most things a person that does not have these problems can say, will sound pretty shallow. It would be so easy for me to say, yes, go out there, do something you like, see something beautiful, hear something inspiring – but if the other person is not ready for this or just can’t…what good would that bring?! I know that people with mental health issues often are like paralyzed and do certainly not need further inspiration or motivation.

9. 22nd May 2018 / 4:15 pm

I once heard people say that mental health soundness is just a matter of perspective, that if we lookd at things positively, everything will be alright. Unfortunately, it’s not that simple. A lot of times, we do need to seek professional help.

10. 23rd May 2018 / 4:44 am

I have struggled with depression as well. It’s not as severe, but I do remember wanting to take my own life many times. The emotional abuse was too much. Eventually, though, I had gotten over it, thanks to the grace of God and my decision to not let these negative things affect me anymore. I am done with toxic people!

23rd May 2018 / 8:23 am

❤️❤️❤️❤️

11. 23rd May 2018 / 12:46 pm

This is a good and an honest discussion. Very informative and interesting. I’ll be waiting for your next article. Thanks for sharing.

12. 23rd May 2018 / 9:46 pm

I don’t know about everything here. But I do know that for a personality disorder, CBT really does help. We get into some pretty destructive thinking patterns and CBT helps people to unravel them.

13. 24th May 2018 / 5:38 am

I believe that talking about your anxieties is the way to start coping with it. It is also important that you should not be afraid or ashamed about talking about your mental health. Great article 🙂

14. Blair Villanueva
    24th May 2018 / 7:50 am

Some are not jumping yet into taking medication first, so having a constant counselling is advisable. We should not ne afraid to speak and always have someone to talk to, and something to do in order to divert the attention.

15. 24th May 2018 / 2:39 pm

I think a great way to cope with mental health is certainly to talk to someone about it and just take one day at a time.

16. Jennifer Prince
    5th June 2018 / 4:59 pm

This is such a hard thing to deal with. And so many people deal with it privately. But having accountability is key!