One thing that can help with mental health and just our general wellbeing is goals and challenges! So I have created all different challenges which apparently can help your mental health. These are great for everyone not just mental health sufferers so I am personally challenging you to join in. I am doing 12 so remember not to overwhelm yourself! Maybe just pick a few. You have to do the Vision Board though! (Trust me on this) Oh and I have linked anything that I think would be helpful for this! Because you know, I am good like that 😏
The Vision Board
What is a vision board and why am I making you do this? So a vision board is a board where you put down all of your goals in a visual manner to make sure you are reinforcing positivity and your goals on a daily basis.
What you need:
- Paper or a notepad.
- I used these Drawing pins, But depending on what board you decide to go with you can use tape or bluetac
- A board of some kind, I used a Cork Board
- Print outs
So making a vision board is easy. First of all make a list of your goals. This can be a) all your goals in life. b) your goals for a certain time period (a month or a years time) c) a theme – Think diet goals, Mental Health Goals etc.. Make sure you are including all big and small goals. Choose your board, this doesn’t actually have to be a board… this can be a space on your wall, it can be a canvas, it can be anything you can stick your collage too. Then find images, fabric, anything that represents your goals for you. This can be in magazines (I grabbed loads from travel agents as they are free!), It can be things you’ve printed out, it can be photographs, anything. Then arrange and stick! Heres mine :
The Sleeping Challenge
This is one I need help with, I nap all the time, I stay up late and when I feel low or anxious I just get into bed as I have made it my safe place. So unintentionally I have made my bed a negative zone. Having too much or too little can also make you feel groggy and low in energy. Here’s the sleep challenge:
- No Naps
- 8 hours sleep. – Sleeping between 7-9 hours is healthy. So your aim is to sleep for 8 hours and not going higher or lower than the 7-9. That means if you go to sleep at 9pm you need to set an alarm for 5am (Not too sure about that one!), 10pm you need to be setting it for 6am, 11pm you need to be setting it for 7am and 12pm then you need to be up at 8am.
The Skin Care Challenge
So I am terrible with my skin care routine… I literally live off baby wipes and then wonder why my skin looks terrible! So here is the skin care challenge.
- Set yourself a skin care routine and sticking too it. Yep I am talking about cleansing, toning, moisturising, maybe a face mask and an exfoliation! Let me know what skin care routine you come up with or are following!
The Meditation/Yoga/Stretching Challenge
So the art of mediation and yoga is always being advised for mental health with amazing benefits apparently! So I am challenging you to this.
- Meditation, yoga or stretching for at least 10mins daily!
- I recommend getting a good a mat. I use mine all the time!
The Exercise Challenge
I don’t think I need to go through the benefits of exercise so here is the challenge.
- 1 Hour of exercise 5 times a week.
The Educational Challenge
This is one I am actually looking forward too… I think when you step out of school, college, uni or an apprenticeship you stop educating yourself unintentionally so this is my challenge to you.
- Learn something new. – This can be a language, a new activity, something creative! Anything
The Simple Mini Challenges
Ok you could be reading all of this and currently be struggling with really severe mental health. Trust me I know what that is like. So here are my mini challenges for you.
- The reading challenge – sometimes it can be hard to focus on things when you are suffering with mental health so try reading a little bit each night from an actual physical book.
- Get out of bed everyday.
- Get dressed – I actually struggle with this one. I am terrible with sitting in a dressing gown. I am literally sat in one right now.
- Brush your hair daily – This is another one for me. The cba mentality means I hardly ever do my hair.
- Brushing your teeth twice a day. – I often don’t do it at night.
- Having a shower every morning. – Having a shower in the morning rather than at night can help promote motivation and will help set you up for the day.
- Do something you like to do – a hobby, baking, colouring etc…
Positive Affirmations Challenge
Say a positive affirmation everyday, if it’s too yourself in bed or in front of a mirror. Some examples are:
- I don’t sweat the small stuff.
- I can. I will. End of story.
- I will overcome my fears by following my dreams.
- I will not compare myself to others.
- I am enough.
- I can do anything.
- I refuse to give up as I haven’t forgiven all possible ways.
- I only deserve the best.
- I am going to make myself so proud.
- I am successful.
The Breakfast Challenge
I am terrible when it comes to eating a real healthy breakfast. And you know that girl who goes for a run at 6am and a shake whilst you’re in bed deciding wether or not you can make it to McDonalds before 10:30am? We are going to become that girl… Kinda… Here’s my challenge.
- A healthy shake or smoothie everyday for breakfast.
- Drinking out of a cup? Please do not use plastic straws, I’ve invested in Metal ones and they are great!
- For blenders I think it really depends what you want to use it for but my friend has this one. And says its great! I shall let you know if it is haha
The Healthy Diet Challenge
Again going hand in hand with the breakfast challenge eating healthy promotes positive thinking so eating a healthy diet can help us all. This goes for people who comfort eat and for those who stop eating all together! I am challenging you to
- Have your 5 a day – yep I am recycling a challenge you probably did at school!
- Eat healthy!
The Water Challenge
I am one of this people who doesn’t drink water at all! But well know that it has so many great benefits to it! I am challenging you to
- Drink 8 glasses of water a day. You can fresh fruit and herbs. Green tea, honey or agave but no squash!
- I hate water. So I have picked up some fruit and herbs, chopped it already and put into freezer bags. It’s all frozen ready to go into my water. I also picked up a water bottle infuser somewhere but I can’t remember where! They look like this.
Negative – Positive Challenge
Negative thinking is something that happens naturally and even more when you suffer from mental illness. I am not going to force you to hide your feelings and smile every second of the day but I am challenging you too
- Take one negative in your day and turn it into a positive
That is it! That is my challenges! I will post how I did soon. I am challenging you to take part in this for at least 7 days! But I am doing 21! Wish me luck Let me know what challenges you did, or even if you managed to do them all and how you got on with them!