This is a little appreciation post. On this day, The 11th July 2018, my Grandad is 77 years old.
“Youngsters lack wisdom, elders lack energy! When wisdom and energy comes together great things are destined to happen!” – Mehmet Murat Ildan
So without further a do, here are;
20 Things I have learnt from my Grandad
- The most magical gift you can give someone is a story.
- To love all creatures; even clumsy worms and hairy spiders.
- Don’t listen to negativity. Even if its family members who say “not for the likes of us”.
- Always voice your opinion and stay true to yourself. Even if you do end up having an argument with Judge Judy on TV… or arguing with that pesky pigeon in the garden.
- Do what you love. If that’s wood work, singing, dancing etc…
- It’s ok to be stubborn. But it’s also okay to listen to others points of view too… “I can do a back flip!” “No you can’t Grandad” “Yes I can! watch me.” “No dad!! you can’t!!” “Yes I can ask your mother!” “He could do back flips.” “Yes could when he was 20, not in his late 60’s!” “I can do it.” “Go on Grandad!” “Don’t.” “GRANDAD, GRANDAD, GRANDAD.” “If it wasn’t for Lorrain I would be flip flaking all over the beach. blame her.”
- Everything tastes better on a BBQ. Even if it’s a little burnt… or uh… charcoal.
- No matter what life throws at you, keep calm and carry on. Even when you take the safety off your saw and saw through your fingers. Then a good 15years later when you take off the safety AGAIN and saw through the SAME fingers AGAIN! (be honest you didn’t want them did you?).
- Support your loved ones dreams.
- Always take interest in others interests. Even if that means you are forced to watch 8 mile and listen to Eminem for 3 hours straight because you got stuck with Iya in your car and you’re not allowed your Elvis or your Il Divo CD’s on (sorry not sorry).
- Women can’t drive. I am joking, that’s one thing I can’t agree with you on haha so lets change that to… sometimes Ignoring someone is the best policy! haha
- Husbands can’t look after their own stuff. That includes phones, money etc…
- You should always be there for your kids/grandkids. Whether that’s for a chat or to be a taxi driver, to move frogs from one pond to another, make furniture for fairies, or even cutting out the kitchen windows from that cardboard box you were storing all your things in!
- Cuddles are everything.
- Always take time to slow down and appreciate life. Or as he’d actually say in Cypriot; αργά, αργά (al-ga al-ga)
- If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. That includes tops with holes in as they still have “wear in”. UNLESS its your TV. Always, even if you don’t need to, get a new TV.
- Unconditional love is real.
- All the foods we shouldn’t eat make the tastiest snacks.
- It’s ok to watch your favourite films/series again again until you know all the words. Sometimes you may even learn a new language… like Klingon…
- But most importantly you have taught me how to be me. Yep you are partly responsible for that, you’re welcome.
“The best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person” – Andy Rooney